Saturday 27 August 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by Jack Thorne

»Release date: July 31, 2016
»Page count: 343
»My rating: ★★★☆☆


I had such low expectations for this book that I was convinced I would hate it, but at the same time I was so willing to like it that I ended up doing it. It was good, but it had many flaws that bugged me a lot, so I couldn't enjoy it as much a I would have wanted.

The characters were both great and awful at the same time. Some were complex and had a clear development, such as Scorpius, though even that is debatable. Others were almost completely plain, like Rose and Albus. I still don't understand how his mind works, if he's just selfish or plainly stupid for putting so many lives at risk and not thinking about the consequences his actions would bring.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, and Draco are just ghosts of what they used to be; and don't even get me started on Snape, whose presence in this book was totally unnecessary, as it was just for his long-awaited redemption.

I also found irritating the queer baiting, although I'm not 100% sure if it was intentional. It looked like it, but maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to.

The plot was a total failure. It was really, really loose and purposeless. The quest that Albus embarks on was just a silly attempt of bringing back the sadness that Cedric's death caused in many of the original series' fans, and it really read a bit like fan fiction.

Despite everything I've mentioned, the Harry Potter books hold such a dear place in my heart that I can't hate them or give them less than three stars. The Wizarding World is as great as ever, and going back to it was awesome. Cursed Child was exceptionally funny, even more than its predecessors, I dare say. I gasped, I squealed, and overall, I had a good time while reading it, even with all its blemishes.



Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment